Gran Canaria is love at first sight. It is a small idyll in the middle of the Atlantic which captivates anyone who comes here.
Here are the ten main reasons why anyone will fall hopelessly in love with this marvellous island.
1. The Weather As One’s Ally Gran Canaria is blessed with a privileged climate, on account of its geographical location and the generous contribution of the trade winds. These are some of the contributing factors to the mean annual temperature of 24°C. The island’s landscape ensures a mild atmosphere, which tempers the four seasons of the year.
2. A Spectacular Natural Setting Concerted endeavours to preserve its natural heritage have made Gran Canaria a place where time seems to stand still. Virtually half of its surface area is protected, an ongoing legacy which ensures the exceptional purity of the environment here. And, best of all is that its whole area is accessible to visitors. The most striking feature of this magnificent natural setting is its volcanic origins.
3. The Beaches are the Island’s DNA Gran Canaria boasts 60 kilometres of beaches on a coastline stretching for 236 kilometres. Its seaboard has been the leisure resort of choice for generations of islanders who are only too happy to share it with visitors. The variety is endless and there is something for all tastes, from the vast carpets of golden sand in the south to the secluded coves in the north. One of the advantages of Gran Canaria is that its beaches can be enjoyed most of the year around.
4. A Sporting Paradise One of the pluses of having such a mild climate all year around, and a privileged natural setting, is that Gran Canaria is an ideal enclave for doing open-air sports. Hiking enthusiasts are pampered by a network of trails that cover the whole island, and it is also a paradise for lovers of cycling, which is undoubtedly one of the best ways to enjoy the island’s scenery. Those who prefer the sea can choose from a broad selection of activities. Surfing, windsurfing and kite-surfing, if what you’re after is an adrenalin rush, and sports fishing or diving if you’re eager to explore the sea floor.
5. A Place for All the Family Gran Canaria is the ideal destination for family tourism. Either for couples or families with children, the island offers all types of attractions which will make your stay an unforgettable experience.
6. A Land of History, Culture and Leisure The pre-Hispanic history of Gran Canaria still pervades the island, six centuries after the Castilian conquest. Its aboriginal past is jealously guarded in archaeological parks and museums, which also mirror the cultural fusion that characterises the local population. Christopher Columbus stopped over at Gran Canaria on his way to the New World, bequeathing a legacy of which vestiges still survive. As for leisure and culture, the island’s Carnival is one of its landmark festivals, which brings out the affable, playful side of the islanders.
7. An Exquisite Sea of Flavours Every corner of Gran Canaria offers delicious flavours, many of them part of a rich, heterogeneous culinary tradition. The island boasts the only coffee plantations in Europe, and it is also proud of its orchards and market gardens, its juicy confectionery and its iconic rum, distilled in the oldest cellar on the continent.
8. Take a Well Earned Break Gran Canaria is the perfect destination for relaxing and breaking with your daily routine and the stress of work. Taking care of ourselves is one of our priorities and you will come across many a spa resort and wellness centre on Gran Canaria.
9. An Open, Modern Capital The historic centre of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, based in the districts of Vegueta and Triana, is well worth touring leisurely to see its colonial-style buildings. Puerto de la Luz is one of its major hubs of trade activity and, a short distance away, on the far side of La Isleta isthmus, a prominent meeting point is Las Canteras, one of the finest urban beaches in the world. There is a lot of entertainment on offer in the capital, the product of its modern, cosmopolitan essence.
10. Villages with Charm Agaete, Mogán, Teror and Tejeda are but a few of the enclaves worth exploring to discover the spirit of the island. Its friendly people and rich traditions make visitors feel at home. Whether on the heights, the midlands or the coast, each locality makes its harmonious contribution in the projection of our identity traits.
Hurry and discover the charms of this idyllic island.